Bar Buza, Dubrovnik: COLD DRINKS WITH THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEWS!

It’s not everyday that the book you’re reading mentions that bar/coffeehouse/pub where you’re reading it at. The words screamed off the page: COLD DRINKS WITH THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEWS! My bottle of Ožujsko wasn’t that cold, but glancing out over the pristine Adriatic coastline and the plush electric green island of Lokrum and could coincide with at least one of those statements.

The word buza in local tongue quite literally means hole, and the place was advertised in our hostel as literally being a hole in the wall – a hole in the famous city walls, that is. The city center is extremely small – you can see everything in a day or so – so we figured a leisurely walk around the city center with cameras in tow would eventually lead us to one of the only bars that’s open in the off-season. Traipsing around the beautifullly restored fortifications, we quite literally ran into a wall – we could see the bar, but we couldn’t actually access it.

Wanting to check out the COLD DRINKS after walking around all afternoon and enjoy them with THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEWS, we wound our way up the streep staircases on the western side of the city. The bar was sparse, just some chipping and rusted handrails and some plastic chairs with rickety tables. Our beer came with plastic cups and cost a whopping 35 kuna, or about 5€, each.

The day was clear but beautiful for a late March day, so we pulled out our e-books and sipped our Ožujsko as slowly as possible. When the words of Beer in the Balkans, a tongue-in-cheek quest for cheap beer throughout the Ex-Yu, jumped out at me, I signaled the waitress for another round. Who can say no to a Croatian sunset and a warm beer?

Have you ever been to Buza Bar? Do you think it’s got the MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEWS IN THE WORLD? For more information and seasonal opening hours, check out the bar’s website

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Cat Gaa

As a beef-loving Chicago girl living among pigs, bullfighters, and a whole lotta canis, Cat Gaa writes about expat life in Seville, Spain. When not cavorting with adorable Spanish grandpas or struggling with Spanish prepositions, she wrangles babies at an English Language Academy and freelances with other publications, like Rough Guides and The Spain Scoop.

Comments

1. Ah I went to Buza Bar, too, and loved it! Such a great spot!

2. Richard says:

Looking at your photos, you had better weather in March than we did in May! Loved this bar too, although the prices and the toilets were a bit of a shocker.
    Richard recently posted..Dubrovnik’s best urban beachesMy Profile

• Sunshine and Siestas says:

The toilets, madre mía! We saw a woman who had been on our flight get stuck in it! Better to just turn your back to the bar area and watch the waves.

3. So what book were you reading?
    Sunny beach side photos makes me want to book it to Croatia!
    Lauren @ roamingtheworld recently posted..What I haven’t missed about the USAMy Profile

• Sunshine and Siestas says:

It’s called “Beer in the Balkans.” I think it was self-published due to the number of typos, but it was funny and a quick read!

4. Sara Louise says:

Cool beers, warm sunshine and that view sounds about perfect to me!

5. Jack says:

I recently visited Dubrovnik and a beer at Buza was on the ‘must do’ list.
    To be totally honest, I was disappointed. Interesting and unusual spot to sit with a beer as the sun is setting but I didn’t think it was exceptional.
    I felt there were nicer bars with better views – and more impressive sunsets – in other parts of Croatia so I didn’t think the elevated cost of the beer was justified. The most common phrase I heard in Buza was ‘how much?’
    Jack recently posted..The Art of Dining, Casa del Caminero in TejedaMy Profile

• Sunshine and Siestas says:

I can’t say I’m surprised! I had been to Croatia on previous trips and have sat in many a bar while checking out the sunset and the views on the coast, but I had already equated Dubrovnik with higher costs. It was a special occasion of sorts, as my friend and I were drafting a business plan! Would love to read any of your pieces on Croatia, and thanks for weighing in!

6. Gayla says:

I imagine the view really made the 5€ beer worth it. I can’t wait to get to Dubrovnik. It’s in my somewhat near future. I hope :-)
    Gayla recently posted..Where to eat in Amsterdam (near the Anne Frank House)My Profile

7. i-dubrovnik says:

Mine favorite place every time i’m there :) Truly one of a kind place
    i-dubrovnik recently posted..Homepage Side 3My Profile